The Blue Diary

And all the words and lullabies...

Thursday, October 07, 2004

...but then...

...but then you could never feel that warmth there by your side. No one's imagination is quite that good, believe me, I've tried. I used to have two blankets on my bed to help me sleep at night. It all started quite by accident. You see, I was cleaning and my thought was "Well, a blanket should go on a bed. I'll just move it to a better place later." But later didn't come for a long while. That extra blanket just stayed beside me; it was asleep like I was soon to be. It took on a life of its own for a while. Like it could breathe, like it could sing me lullabies. But it didn't have hands, and it never woke up. It was in a coma. It was as good as dead.

I blame it all on him. He was so marvelous, and I knew I was in love with him. Just as well as I knew I loved him, I knew, without a doubt he loved me. I spent that summer awake, when I should have been asleep. I spent those years trapped inside his beautiful eyes. And my hands were held for a time. And I dreamed of when I was older and he and I were wed. I was not afraid of the future, because to think on it did not make me face my fear of being alone.

Then winter came. I lived inside of that winter so long. I faced that awful fear. That love I had been so certain of was stripped away. I should have just forgotten it was there in the first place, but how do you forget something that brought such comfort and happiness? Everything I said and did revolved around that love. It was so cold. And I, I was cold too. Silence settled in and robbed me of my smile. I was dead just like his love for me. I was dead just like that blanket.

There is good all around, how fortunate for me. And there is love everywhere. Now I am the criminal, leading that loveless boy on for a time. I am no better than he was. And while my love is real, it is not the brand which he had hoped for. He only loves me because I am a sure thing. He only loves me because I am constantly the same, unchanged.

But one day...I'll be wholy loved and give all the love inside of me in return.

Everything I write sounds the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home